Student Groups & Teams
There are many student organizations for UMaine Engineering students. Being part of a student chapter, team, or group provides students with hands-on experience in dealing with engineering problems and working collaboratively in teams.
Want to know more about how to start or organize a student group? The University of Maine Student Government Inc. website has more information on student group funding, by laws and more.
If you cannot find the team or group you are looking for, or need information corrected about your group, contact Chris Karlen in the Dean’s Office for help.
Plan early & Good Luck!
Funding: Student groups and teams looking for funding for competitions, events, or other reasons should first contact their home department and search for other forms of support before requesting funding from the College of Engineering dean’s office.
- Apply Online – online Student Group Funding Form
- Download Form & Print – pdf of the Student Group Funding Form
Engineering Honor Societies: College of Engineering students are also eligible for membership in several scholastic honor societies. Students who excel academically are invited to join during their junior or senior year or at the graduate level. Membership in these societies will be noted on the student’s academic transcripts.
Student Chapters and Related Professional Organizations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- UMaine AIChE Student Chapter
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- UMaine ASME Student Chapter
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- UMaine AGC Student Chapter
- Engineers Without Borders -USA (EWB-USA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- UMaine IEEE Student Chapter
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- UMaine SAE Student Chapter
- Society of Physics Student
- UMaine SPS Student Chapter
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Technical Association of the Pulp & Paper Industry (TAPPI)
- UMaine TAPPI Student Chapter
- UMaine Engineering Art Club (UEAC)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS)
- UMaine ACSM Student Chapter