INTERNAL CHANGE OF MAJOR POLICY FOR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING The UMaine College of Engineering (COE) has experienced unprecedented demand for several of its programs. To preserve the high quality of our programs, the COE has needed to implement the new procedures for current UMaine students who wish to change majors into and between engineering and engineering technology programs.
INTERNAL CHANGE OF MAJOR PROCEDURES FOR:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Construction Engineering Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Engineering Physics
- Survey Engineering Technology
The programs listed above are not capacity limited. If you wish to change into one of these engineering or engineering technology majors you may consult with the department chair/director of the degree program you wish to enter at any time. Students will need to complete a paper change of major form, with signatures. Decisions for entry into these programs will be made on a rolling basis.
INTERNAL CHANGE OF MAJOR PROCEDURES FOR CAPACITY LIMITED PROGRAMS The programs listed below are capacity limited:
Effective Fall 2016, the procedures given below will be in effect for all students who wish to change majors into the degree programs listed above.
- Engineering students with sophomore standing or higher may apply for change of major in the fall, with a deadline of October 15 and in the spring with a deadline of February 15.
- Engineering students with first year standing, including engineering undecided students, and all students from outside the COE, including pre-engineering students, must apply in the spring with a deadline of February 15.
- Students wishing to change majors must first complete the online change of major request by the deadline. The applicants will be informed of the College of Engineering decision on their request in about two weeks. If accepted, students must then complete a paper change of major form, with signatures, and submit to Laurie Fullerton in the College of Engineering. Requests for change of major will be reviewed by a committee comprised of the Dean of Engineering, Associate Dean of Engineering, engineering department chairs, and School of Engineering Technology Director.
- Requests will be evaluated in the following order until all the available change of major slots are full: (i) COE students with sophomore standing or higher; (ii) undecided engineering students; (iii) all other COE students with first year standing; and (iv) all other students outside the COE including pre-engineering students.
- Within each category described in the preceding paragraph, preference will be given to students with the highest academic standing giving the greatest weight to performance in engineering, mathematics, physics, and chemistry courses. The student’s statement will also be considered as it relates to their demonstrated interest in their desired major(s).
 To qualify as engineering students with sophomore standing, students must have completed a minimum of 30 credits of an engineering or engineering technology curriculum.
 To qualify as engineering students with first-year standing, students must have completed a minimum of 15 credits of an engineering or engineering technology curriculum.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Mohamad Musavi, Associate Dean, at 207.581.2218 or firstname.lastname@example.org